Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Warm, Melted Wishes

Yesterday, before bed, I asked Morgan to pick up the Little People Nativty and put it by the fireplace. We have a beautiful stone fireplace in the living room. We hardly ever light a fire in it, because it is a corner and very open to the room, but I like to decorate it and every year the nativity that the kiddos can play with gets put at the corner (really to distract them from playing in the fireplace).

So Morgan was very obedient and picked up all of the pieces so she could watch a short video before bed.

About 15 minutes later I smelled something hot...like burning plastic. I immediately sent the kids looking for what the smell was. Mikalah yelled that she found it in the basement.

See, we also have a wood stove in the basement. So when I told Morgan to put the nativity on the fireplace she did just that.
Joseph and the camel suffered 3rd degree burns on their feet and the creche is no longer standing. However, I am happy to report that Baby Jesus escaped without any marks. I'm sure that had something to do with the angel that was standing on his head at the time.

Now, hopefully we can replace this set before next Christmas!

2 comments:

Deedee said...

Oh dear Jen! I'm sorry it was spoiled, but thankful that no one was hurt and that you found it before it caused a fire or something. Hope the rest of your Christmas plans are going well?

Chris said...

Oh! How sad. And how funny. I'm torn.