Saturday, October 27, 2007

Pound Cake

I started this post last week, but got distracted. I made the pound cake, careful to document each step...except the final product. No worries, it was so good that we finished it off and I had to make another one. That and we had company coming. Pound cake number two, made, eaten, and no picture. So, you are going to have to use your imagination and just know that it was so good we ate two in five days!

From that, I'm sure I gained five pounds, but now that I am laying horizontally, fighting off the flu...still...I have managed to lose seven pounds.

That in no way suggests that the pound cake is directly related to getting the flu, just good memories of food before I haven't eaten anything in five days that didn't resemble "sick food". Eggs, Popsicles, toast...thankfully this is not the stomach flu or that would be worse. I'm not totally convinced that it is the flu since it is not improving and I've had a fever over 100 for six days. Yes, I was good and went to the doctor. They sent me home saying, "it's the flu. Here's some cough med with codeine (good stuff) and an inhaler (not sure it's doing anything), now go home and rest. Mike has been an awesome husband taking care of all six kids the past few days, but I'm sure his tolerance level is waining. I'm tired of being sick and now I'm sure you're tired of hearing me tell you about it. If you call me all you'll get is my very deep,sexy voice that I can only use for a few minutes before I fall into a coughing spell.

It seems odd to combine that with a post about pound cake, but trust me...it's good!


Jenn's Pound Cake (taken from Just a Matter of Thyme Cookbook)

Cream together 1 1/2 sticks of butter...
With one pound of powdered sugar (thus why it is called a pound cake!)

Cream it together really well! Beat it until super light and fluffy!

Add six eggs, one at a time, beating well after adding each one (beat approximately a total of ten minutes). Then add 2 tsp. vanilla (just eyeball it!).
Add your dry ingredients:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt


Taste your batter - that's an order (unless you have the flu)
Pour into greased tube or bundt pan.

Bake at 350 for 50 minutes (toothpick clean test)

Let cool 10-15 minutes before removing from pan.

Then clean up your mess!


And put on your heels for a party!

Pound cake is usually better the second day after it has been cooked, but warm is good too!

***After rereading this before I post I realize one should not attempt to post while on drugs. Just copy and paste the recipe - it's the good part.

2 comments:

Deanne said...

Pound cake sounds good, but you....well, not so much (deep sexy voice aside) :) Hope your feeling better super soon!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try your recipe! Love the pic with the footie jammies combined with dress up heels!!!