Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sunday Dinner



Most people get excited about the weekend. No work...family time...relaxed schedule. While my kids "day of rest" is usually Saturday, Mike and mine is more Monday. So instead of TGIF, we have TGIM - don't think that will fly as a restaurant!





Since Sundays are kind of hectic, I have really tried to plan ahead to have a nice meal for lunch, so we get some family time around the table before the afternoon activities start. This cookbook is by far a favorite. I have had it since college and I have to say there isn't a single recipe that I have tried that our family didn't enjoy. I haven't tried all of them, but I will say I have made more than 50%!





Today's lunch: Fresh bread in the bread maker - set to finish when we walk in the door, and Corn Chowder in the crock pot. I adapted the recipe a bit to fit our family and thought I would share with you. Still - the cookbook...a good thing to add to your Christmas list!





Corn Chowder - from Just a Matter of Thyme adapted by me!



1/2 cup butter
4 med potatoes, peeled and diced
(they call for minced celery, but my family doesn't care for it)
1/2 onion diced

Saute in pan until onions are soft. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp for flour over the mixture and cook for a few minutes.

Dissolve 4 tbsp. chicken bouillon in 2 cups of water.

Put all of the above in crock pot.
Add 1 red pepper, diced
20oz frozen corn
4 cups of milk (I use skim, but the recipe calls for half & half and the half & half is very, very good!!!)

Cook on high for three to four hours or low for six to eight.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

This feeds my family with some leftovers.

2 comments:

Heasleye said...

Hey, that cook book looks familiar! :) And that corn chowder is awesome! I haven't made it in years (gave up milk), but I can just see it in my mind right now.

Unknown said...

I was just thinking about your corn chowder...yum and really miss you guys!!!!