Friday, January 7, 2011

Household Goals

Right before Christmas I got a new book: Organized Simplicity, by Tsh Oxenreider.



The woman has no vowels in her name...I just had to point that out!




Anyway, I LOVE organization, but I rarely buy any books about it, because they all say the same things. However, this book is different!




The book is about 5x7 and has a spiral spine...that just makes this office supply junkie girl very happy! It makes the book seem more like a workbook instead of a "read and try to implement my ideas" book.




The tag line to the title is, The Clutter-Free Approach to Intentional Living. That just makes me want to take a deep breathe! This book sums up how I want our household to be! Intentional about what we own and how we keep it, and clutter-free! It takes the idea of simplicity and makes it real-world livable. We aren't talking sell everything and live with one pair of pants and one fork kind of life! This book is about make choices about what you have and in what room of your home - understanding that if you choose to have five bookshelves of books because you love books that's fine. You made that choice, but it may mean that in order to have room for those books, you may need to let the Precious Moments figurines go.




And wait, there's more...right now on Amazon, this book is only $10.42!!! So head on over to the Amazon jungle and get yours now!!!




2011 Resolutions:


1. Go through room by room and create organized simplicity I am starting with my living room and focusing on one room at a time. My hope is to finish the decorating in that room as well, but the organization and the simplifying is the main goal. And consistent with Dave Ramsey, my plan is for a big garage sale in the spring to pawn off my junk to someone else in order to build the 3-6 months savings!




2. Create and follow a household cleaning plan I have a plan for laundry that I have been able to follow for the last year and it has allowed me to not have those 20 loads of laundry days. It has been relatively easy to follow, however, I enjoy doing laundry. I do not like cleaning my house, but I am hopeful that if I only have about 45 min worth of cleaning every day that the house will be clean and I won't be overwhelmed.




3. Regular chores for the slaves...I mean kiddos We have tried chore charts galore and have never been able to stick with them. My plan for January is to create a new system for chores for our family...one that works with our kids and our schedule. Most importantly...one that we can maintain for a looooong time!




My main purpose with all of these goals is to have my house be warm and inviting and a place that I am not embarrassed by if someone unexpectedly comes to the door. I want to be able to spontaneously invite someone for coffee or dinner without running around hoping the bathroom is clean or that there isn't laundry laying around or a kitchen full of dirty dishes. I don't want a spotless house, but I don't want my guests to have to move things to find a seat either. And I want to know where things are. I don't want to have to hunt for that receipt or bill or Mike's wallet (that's a whole 'nother story!)




This will be a year long process, but I want to look back on December 31, 2011 and say that we have made progress! I want to know that we are moving forward, not backwards!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to hear about your chore system for the kids. We've tried numerous chore charts without much luck!

Ivymamma said...

I wish I had a tried and true system! We have tried several as well to no avail. Next week I will talk about some that we have tried and the new idea I have. Since each family is different, maybe one that we've tried will work for you!